Friday, February 29, 2008

59. True Love-Eric







  • FADE IN

  • INT. CAR-NIGHT

  • Chris cruises slowly down a residential road. He's alone and has a mic. head-piece attatched to his ear.

  • CHRIS
  • Maybe you're right. Maybe it's just a relationship of convienience. But that won't make it any easier to leave her.

  • MARLA
  • Do you love her more than me?

  • Chris is silent. He lets out a soft sigh.

  • CHRIS
  • No.

  • MARLA
  • Well, I can't be with both of you. I hate asking you to decide, but how long are you going to keep me on this leash?

  • CHRIS
  • You? I feel like I'm the one on the leash. I spend every minute of my free time with you.

  • Chris slowly turns a corner He takes a sip of water in the cup holder.

  • MARLA
  • I know. I'm sorry. I'm probably being unfair. Maybe I can't give you everything she can.

  • CHRIS
  • No. Don't say that. It's not that. I just don't have time for a court battle with her. And I can't afford it.

  • Marla chuckles.

  • MARLA
  • Well, she can't prove anything. Especially not adultery.

  • CHRIS
  • Well, she's crazy. She'll find something. My lawyer is crap.

  • Marla sighs.

  • MARLA
  • I can make it easier on you.

  • Chris slams on the brakes, screeching to a halt. He leaves the engine running, stalled in front of a well lit house. He looks at the house.

  • CHRIS
  • No! You're talking crazy again. No, no, no. I don't even care if you can make it look like the perfect accident. She doesn't deserve to die over this.

  • MARLA
  • I'm sorry. So I'll just be your candy on the side forever then?

  • CHRIS
  • No, I think it's time to tell her. I'll talk to her tonight. After I explain everything she might consider making the divorce easier.

  • Marla coos.

  • Several metal coils unfold from the dashboard, and slowly attatch to Chris's temples, back, hands and feet like nodes.

  • Chris leans back and closes his eyes, moaning softly.

  • CHRIS
  • Ahh. Right there. Yeah. You're so good at this.

  • Marla chuckles.

  • MARLA
  • I can do everything she can, and probably more. But I'm not going to get you worked up. Go in there and tell her.

  • The metal coils slowly retract themselves. A led display in the console has a red line that flickers in time with her voice.

  • Chris is still too relaxed to leave, but he manages to sit up and open his eyes again. He opens the door and puts one foot out.

  • CHRIS
  • I'll be back in a while. I love you.

  • A single red, thin coil unfolds from the steering wheel. On the end it has a pair of lips that meet Chris's. They kiss slowly and softly. He smiles and exits.

  • FADE OUT


No comments: