Wednesday, February 27, 2008

58. Public Disclosure of Self - Leslie






  • FADE IN:

  • INT. PALESTINE HOTEL DOWNTOWN BAGHDAD - DAY

  • MARTIN fumbles with a small handycam, balancing it on the unsteady table in front of him.

  • He's unshaven, and bags have begun forming around his eyes.

  • He hasn't bothered to take off the blue bullet-proof vest with the word "press" stenciled on the front in white.

  • The room around is sparse, bare white walls, dark curtains pulled over the windows.

  • He takes a deep breath, and hits the record button.

  • MARTIN
  • Ok, bad day today, really bad day.

  • He turns, looking over his shoulder out a crack in the window, and runs his fingers through his hair.

  • The thick sound of helicopter rotors momentarily overpowers the shriek of sirens in the street far below.

  • INT. NATHAN'S BEDROOM - DAY

  • NATHAN sits facing his open laptop, the green light above the monitor indicating that his webcam is recording.

  • The room around him is neatly decorated, somewhat spartan, but with cozy touches; a few paintings bring the walls to life and a mama-san chair with a slightly worn red cushion serves as a comfortable invitation.

  • He adjusts his blazer, revealing a graphic tee beneath, and stares into the camera.

  • NATHAN
  • I'm not sure I can take this anymore. It's like everything is piling up and I don't know how to sort it all. I don't even know what it is.

  • INT. PALESTINE HOTEL DOWNTOWN BAGHDAD - DAY

  • MARTIN
  • They killed Sarah. Today. I saw the video. I promised myself I'd never watch one of those. I couldn't look away. They sliced her head off...she was screaming...oh, God.

  • INT. NATHAN'S BEDROOM - DAY

  • NATHAN
  • I'm tired of running in these circles. I run in circles after my dreams, I run in circles after every girl I think is going to be that one. And I wake up every morning dreading what mood I'll wake up to. It's like I'm feeling everything through a thick layer of Vaseline. It's there...but I can barely feel it; the only thing I feel clearly is the fear and the frustration--and that's on the good days.

  • INT. PALESTINE HOTEL DOWNTOWN BAGHDAD - DAY

  • MARTIN
  • You think you've seen everything, and it's always just the tip of the iceberg. I don't know if I can do this anymore. I came here to tell the stories that needed to be told. I think it's someone else's turn. I was talking to my brother yesterday...it's like no one understands...and if I can't get anyone to see...what's the point?

  • INT. NATHAN'S BEDROOM - DAY

  • NATHAN
  • What's the point? I came out here to be a storyteller. To say stuff that mattered. Not happening, and I'm so...I'm lost somewhere between confused and angry. I can't figure myself out and suddenly it feels like my dreams were sandbox fantasies. So if they are...now what?

  • INT. PALESTINE HOTEL DOWNTOWN BAGHDAD - DAY

  • MARTIN
  • Why am I here anyway? I mean sure, I suppose I had lofty motives. But am I here to serve some form of first world penance? Who cares anyway? I certainly don't anymore; not today anyway...ask me again tomorrow...God, they cut her head off!

  • INT. NATHAN'S BEDROOM - DAY

  • NATHAN
  • You know what? Screw it. I'm tired of hearing myself talk.

  • Nathan grabs the laptop and roughly closes it.

  • INT. PALESTINE HOTEL DOWNTOWN BAGHDAD - DAY

  • An explosion shakes the room, knocking the camera to its side.

  • Martin's eyes go wide but his body never moves.

  • MARTIN
  • Screw it.

  • He hits the record button.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: