Saturday, February 9, 2008

40. Envy of God (chap 4, pt. 1)-Eric










  • Mickey uncurls himself on Heide's stomach and begins kneading it.

    "Ouch!"

    Heide rolls over and slaps her hand down on the alarm clock before it has time to ring. She scoops up Mickey and lets him flop down next to her.

    "Mickey, I like you being my alarm clock, but I'm going to have to declaw you when I get more money."

    Mickey purrs softly.

    Heide rolls out of bed, eyes half closed, and walks to the medicine cabinet. She grabs her syringe and makes herself a shot. She runs the shower and climbs inside witht her syringe. Her thin, pale skin seems to blend with the tub and white shower curtain.

    After losing herself in the shower for nearly fifteen minutes, she finally comes out. Steam trails behind her as she walks naked through her house. She flips on the morning news and starts a pot of coffee.

    "...and long time family friend, Brian Seavers denied comment and allegations reguarding the disappearance of Kevin White. If you have any information..."

    Heide walks to the television. A man in a long red dress holds a fluffy boa up to the camera, shielding himself. An enlarged High School photo of Kevin is displayed on the screen. Heide sighs and clicks the television off.

    Mickey loops around her leg, arching his back.

    "Ok, buddy, foods coming up."

    The phone rings, each pulse a threat. Heide sighs and picks up the rceiver.

    "Yes."

    "I see, yeah. I can be there."

    Heide frowns, and walks to the pantry. The brown paint flakes off as she opens the door, collecting in a little pile on the old, colorless linoluem. Mickey gallops from the living room and under her legs.

    "Detective Marion wants to see me. What should I do, Mickey?"

    Mickey prances in circles.

    "I think I'm actually scared. I forgot what that feels like. Do you get scared?"

No comments: