Wednesday, February 13, 2008

43. Study the Date-Eric







  • FADE IN

  • EXT. UNIVERSITY COURT YARD-DAY

  • Students scurry on the sidewalks to the sound of a bell. The cupola stands in the center of the campus like a huge tower. In the courtyard, Kent sees another student, ANGY. She walks with BROCK, cradling a few text books under her arm. They walk on the opposite side of the courtyard from Kent, inside a classroom building.

  • KENT VO
  • Wow. Never thought I'd see you again. What the heck is she doing here?

  • INT. DORM ROOM-CONTINUOUS

  • Kent sits at his desk, looking at old digital photos on his computer. Baxter lies down on the top bunk, reading A Midsummer Night's Dream. Kent clicks through several photos of himself and Angy. In one photo they're holding hands at Disney World. Baloons soar above them and a fountain springs behind them. In another photo, they kiss in front of a massive redwood tree.

  • BAXTER
  • Why you digging through those old pictures? Talk about not letting go. I thought she was the one clinging to you. And Isn't she supposed to be in Australia saving the ecosystem or something? And why hasn't she talked to you yet?

  • KENT
  • It's Austria and she wasn't saving anybody. She went to study German, believe it or not. I just saw her walking to chem class. She probably couldn't handle being away from mommy so she came back. She probably still thinks I'm in Japan. And by the way, she was walking with Brock of all people.

  • BAXTER
  • Brock? Wow. Did he finally hit puberty or something? And since when does a homebody girl like her travel? Foreign languages? I thought she only spoke Martha Stewart?

  • Baxter tosses the book on the bed and hops down, looking at Kent's photos. Someone softly knocks on the door. Kent closes the photos out, and quickly opens a game on the computer. Tera walks in.

  • TERA
  • Hey Babe, we're gonna be late for World Civ. And we have to hand in our group project. Or is that dungeon game more important?

  • Kent opens a desk drawer and pulls out a stack of papers held together by a paper clip. He hands them to Tera.

  • KENT
  • I think I'm going to take the day off, I'm not feeling so good.

  • Tera snatches the papers and rolls her eyes. She huffs out of the door, slamming it behind her.

  • INT. UNIVERSITY CAFE-NIGHT

  • Brock, Tera, Baxter and Jenny sit at a table, drinking various drinks. A waitress scribbles down their order on a pad of paper and walks off.

  • TERA
  • So, tell me about this girl, Brock.

  • BROCK
  • Ah, she's just my chem partner.

  • The group turns to him, and stares him down with a silent, dubious look. He looks away from them and down toward his empty glass. He pretends to drink from it.

  • BROCK
  • Okay, okay, okay. I like her. We get along pretty good. She's really smart. Likes traveling and stuff.

  • TERA
  • Well, that's a start. Look, you need to take the initiative. She's not going to ask herself out for you. And if you don't show interest you might miss your chance. Let me tell you, girls wait for no man.

  • BROCK
  • But how do I ask her out without sounding like a dork?

  • JENNY
  • I've got an idea. It's your birthday this weekend, right? So what you do is invite her to your party.

  • BROCK
  • What party?

  • JENNY
  • That's the thing. There is no party, but you invite her anyway. When no one shows up she'll think it's sweet. She'll think you're too shy to ask her.

  • Brock smiles.

  • BROCK
  • Hey, that is a good idea. Thanks guys.

  • BAXTER
  • Well, we don't want you to be in the yearbook, as the person most likely to remain a virgin through his collegiate years.

  • Tera softly slaps baxter on the arm.

  • INT. DORM ROOM-MORNING

  • Brock, Baxter and Kent sit in a room, playing rummy. A jazz song plays on the computer.

  • KENT
  • Actually, I know her, Brock. I dated her sister. Whatever you do, don't tell her you know me. But I know everything she likes, man. I'll give you the skinny.

  • BROCK
  • Well good, I need all the help I can get.

  • KENT
  • Okay, first things first. She loves jazz and beebop, especially stuff like Miles Davis and David Brubeck. She hates 90's alternative rock. You know, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Mudhoney, and Pearl Jam. She loves traveling, one of those Green Peace chicks. She's kind of into alternative classics, like Herman Hesse. One of her favorites is Steppenwolf. You need to be the big traveler, the trail blazer type. Open to mysticism and eastern philosophy. Tell her you're into Taosim, foreign languages. Take her to a sushi bar. Oh, and she's real independent, don't pay for the dinner, go dutch.

  • BROCK
  • Wow, dude. You sure you guys aren't twins? And that's a lot of stuff to remember. Geez, let me take some notes. Then I gotta jet, have a chem test tommorow.

  • They chuckle. Brock grabs a notebook and scribbles down notes about Angy. He high-fives Kent and then leaves. Kent and Baxter erupt in laughter.

  • BAXTER
  • You pretty much told him the exact opposite of everything she likes didn't you? I only wish I could see it on youtube when it all goes down.

  • INT. JAPANESE RESTAURANT-EVENING

  • Brock and Angy sit, sipping saki and waiting for their orders. Baxter looks around nervously, wanting someone to be there for moral support. Angy pulls several cd's from a plastic bag. She holds one up.

  • ANGY
  • Wow, you like David Brubeck?

  • BROCK
  • Err, uh, yeah, he's one of my favorites. It was so sad when he died.

  • ANGY
  • He died! When?

  • BROCK
  • L-last August, I think.

  • ANGY
  • Are you sure? I know he was real old but I check out his homepage all the time. I think I would have known.

  • A japanese waitress hands them two steaming towels. Brock nervously watches Angy clean her hands with it, and imitates her.

  • BROCK
  • So you reading any good books? I just got finished with Steppenwolf, again.

  • ANGY
  • Wow, Hesse's one of my favorite authors. And that's my favorite book. Don't you love it when he loses his mind in the Magic Theatre?"

  • Brock looks paralyzed. He turns red, and nervously sips his water. Angy places a friendly hand on Brock's forearm.

  • ANGY
  • Brock, you look like you're at a job interview, and I'm about to throw you out of my office.

  • BROCK
  • Well, I kind of do feel like that.

  • ANGY
  • Look, that's real sweet, but you don't have to pretend you're looking around for your friends. I know you weren't having a birthday party. Just relax, drink some more saki.

  • The waitress brings two plates of rolls and tempura sauce to the table. Angy and Brock begin eating. Brock inexpertly hoists food into his mouth with the chopsticks.

  • ANGY
  • So, what are your plans after college?

  • BROCK
  • I don't know. I'd like to tour Europe when I graduate. You know, learn about different cultures, maybe even study French or German. Then I'd like to head to Japan for a bit. Maybe study eastern philosophy.

  • Angy's mouth drops slightly, she stares at Brock. She looks somber at first, then she smiles. And puts her hand on Brock's forearm again.

  • BROCK
  • Everything okay? Now you look like you're at a job interview.

  • ANGY
  • No, everything's okay. You just remind me of someone I used to know. He sort of broke it off with me because we were too different. But after he left, i started actually getting into some of the things. And it's surprising. I mean, we've known each other for two months, but I've never seen this side of you. We have a lot in common, it's almost scary.

  • They chuckle and continue eating.

  • EXT. BRIDGE-CONTINUOUS

  • Brock and Angy stand in the middle of a long bridge. The river below sparkles with the last of the evening's sunlight. They walk to his car, he opens her door. They drive off.

  • INT. DORM ROOM-NEXT MORNING

  • Kent and Brock surf the web, looking at bikini models.

  • KENT
  • So...how did it go man?

  • BROCK
  • It went really well. She bought it all. She was looking at me all stary-eyed when I dropped her off. Dude, I really appreciate it.

  • Kent's mouth drops slightly, he frowns.

  • KENT
  • Huh? Really? Cool man, I told you!

  • INT. DORM ROOM-CONTINUOUS

  • Brock sits in his dorm room, talking on the phone.

  • BROCK
  • Yeah, I'm sorry. I feel so fake. There's something I think you should know...

  • INT. CAFE-EVENING

  • Brock, Baxter, Jenny, Kent, Tera and a small group of people sit around a table. Brock blows out the candles on his birthday cake. Music blares on the Cafe radio. They begin conversing and drinking. Jenny and Tera place small presents next to him. A moment later, ANGY walks in. Kent is stunned, he is fixated on her. She walks to the table. He nervously stands up. She smiles at him, and hugs him.

  • KENT
  • Excuse me a minute, guys.

  • Kent and Angy walk off. Tera and Jenny look confused. Brock smiles at Tera and shrugs his shoulders.

  • FADE OUT


No comments: