Monday, February 18, 2008

50. Congressman Reynolds-Eric










  • CONGRESSMAN GEOFF REYNOLDS SAYS BORROWED CAR NOT A BIG DEAL:

    SOUTH BEND, IN.

    Congressman Geoff Reynolds from the third district of Indiana said Thursday that he doesn't think it's a big deal that he borrowed Senator Douglas Johanson's 2008 Audi.

    Johanson's spokeman Richard Vail accused Reynolds of stealing the vehicle around 10 o'clock, during a dinner party after Wednesday afternoon's congressional meeting.

    "We hadn't turned our backs for five seconds to grab a glass of champagne and he vanished. Johanson isn't friends with him and we wouldn't have even known who he was had he not given that drunk, embarassing speech during the congressional meeting. This raises a serious question about the ethics of Reynolds."

    Reynolds says he is not slighted by the accuasation.

    "Just when you think you know somebody. He seemed like a reasonable man. I thought we started making a connection after our third crab cake. Sure, he seemed a bit aloof at first, but after a few glasses of champagne he really started to unwind. I asked if I could borrow some matches to light a cigarette. He said, 'sure, mi casa su casa'. A few minutes later my daughter called. Her car had broken down and she didn't want to take a taxi. I couldn't find my keys, so I took Johanson at his word. He left his keys next to his drink on a coaster. I took them and went on my way. I didn't think it was a big deal. Johanson's a man of patience though, we'll see this through."

    Asked whether he regrets not asking to borrow the car first and where the 08' Audi currently is, Reynolds replied, "Sure, maybe it would have been the polite thing to do, just as a matter of fact thing. I just can't believe those are going for $120,000. It should at least have automatic transmission. The clutches burn out like old light bulbs. Oh, about where the car is...err."

    Johanson says he will press charges of grand theft.

    "Who the heck does this guy think he is? I don't even know him. He's calling me by my first name now. You better believe I'm pressing charges and I'm sending a requisition for his resignation. Then I'm going to sue him. What the hell did he do with my car?"

    Congressman Reynolds was not available for further comment.

No comments: