Thursday, February 28, 2008

59. Sacrifice - Leslie






  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. STREETSIDE CAFE- DAY

  • NELSON sits at the cafe, his cup of tea growing cool.

  • He rubs his temples thoughtfully.

  • TANYA sits across from him, watching his fingers, waiting.

  • NELSON
  • Anyway, yesterday was one of those days where I just worked so hard I forgot that eating is important.

  • TANYA
  • Just kinda.

  • NELSON
  • And so I went down to that little vegan joint on the corner. Oh man, love that food...I got the soy chicken sandwich. I mean who said vegan had to be healthy? Deep fried goodness.

  • TANYA
  • You're getting distracted.

  • NELSON
  • Who wouldn't want to be distracted by a handful of soy delight? Ok, anyway...I've been thinking about God, humility, sacrifice for the last few days.

  • TANYA
  • Ah, that old bag.

  • NELSON
  • I'm headed back to my place, I've got the egg rolls, chicken sandwich, juice all tucked in a bag, and I see this homeless guy...and I start thinking..."is this what sacrifice is...I'm starving here, but if God told me...give your food to that guy" I'd get it...Ok, so I'm hungry...but I don't even know what that guy's going through. But...

  • TANYA
  • ...if you gave him the food, is it out of true love...or this feeling of Protestant guilt, obligation.

  • NELSON
  • Exactly. Funny thing is...I realized halfway home that I'd started to clutch that bag pretty tight.

  • Tanya chuckles.

  • TANYA
  • I wish we had answers to this kind of stuff. So you'd give it to him...but with the right reasons? And if not, would it be better not to give it to him?

  • A waitress comes out and and places steaming plates of food in front of them.

  • Nelson picks up his fork, and hears a soft voice behind him.

  • Tanya looks past him, a distant look on her face.

  • He turns, finding a HOMELESS WOMAN standing behind him.

  • HOMELESS WOMAN
  • Hey man, could you? Man I'm sorry, could you spare just a little something?

  • Nelson begins to shake his head, then catches the woman's eyes. She can't take them off of his food.

  • He silently grabs the plate, and hands it up to the woman.

  • Her eyes open wider.

  • HOMELESS WOMAN
  • I can't man, I can't take your food away.

  • Tanya stands up and places the contents of her plate on Nelson's.

  • TANYA
  • Please.

  • The woman nods, almost frightened, and snatches the plate...still unbelieving. She hurries away.

  • Tanya sits down.

  • Nelson sips at his cold tea.

  • He looks up and catches Tanya's eye.

  • She shrugs, he grins and returns to his tea.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: