Sunday, February 24, 2008

55. A Modest Proposal - Leslie






  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. MANSION RUINS - DAY

  • MASON sits by three large arches of the rotting plantation house, and looks out the forest that has grown around through the building.

  • The red brick towers above him, beautiful and sad, evoking imagined memories of what it once was.

  • He sits at a small, iron cafe table, idly running his fingers around the wrought iron flowers that make up the table's surface.

  • He is dressed in neatly ironed black pants and a mock turtle-neck shirt.

  • Mason's foot rests on top of a large picnic basket and he taps it slowly.

  • Footsteps sound on the uneven brick behind him and he turns.

  • ANNA-MARIA walks towards the table, her rich green sun dress flowing around her, flip-flops slapping the stone.

  • She grins at him.

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • Oh well, this is sweet.

  • MASON
  • Took you long enough.

  • He grins back at her.

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • You're the one who likes picking these crazy locations.

  • He stands and pulls a table cloth from the basket, places it on the table with a flourish, then begins pulling tea lights, incense, and food from the basket.

  • She sits in the empty seat across from him and watches, amused.

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • This is a little more than normal. What's the occasion?

  • MASON
  • Trying to make up for Jason.

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • You had to bring him up.

  • MASON
  • He broke my best friend's heart. It's the least I can do.

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • You'll make a great boyfriend to some lucky person someday.

  • Mason stops, a wedge of cheese in hand.

  • MASON
  • Why can't you be that lucky person?

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • What?

  • MASON
  • I'm tired of being the best friend who hears all the horror stories, and all I can do is be there for you when it ends. I've always been here, I always will, because I really do love you.

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • Mason.

  • MASON
  • I don't say that lightly, really..I'm so into you...look, you know which buttons to push, and so do I...we know how to annoy the heck out of each other and we do, but we stick around, because above that there's something. You give all these guys a chance, give me a chance.

  • She cuts him off, half standing from her chair, reaches around his neck, and pulls him to her, kissing him.

  • She slowly pulls away and he stares at her speechless.

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • Didn't think that would work did you?

  • He keeps staring.

  • The wedge of cheese hits the dirty bricks and rolls off.

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • You're right. I know you are. Let's give this a shot.

  • MASON
  • Seriously?

  • ANNA-MARIA
  • I've been waiting since we were 12 to hear you give that speech. Glad I stuck around.

  • MASON
  • Could we try that again? I don't think I was really conscious the first time.

  • He leans across the table, and slowly kisses her, and she can't stop smiling.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: