Friday, July 18, 2008

200. Whispers of the Divine - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. BEACH - NIGHT

  • DENNIS sits with ANDREW, ERIC, MARK, ELLEN, SUSAN, and TONY around a small bonfire on the beach.

  • He sits on the edge of the group looking a bit lost.

  • ANDREW
  • So she was completely feeling me up and I just felt...

  • ELLEN
  • Oh please, don't tell me you felt used. Ha! You were loving it.

  • ANDREW
  • Hey, that's not fair, talk about a double standard. I did love it.

  • The group laughs.

  • Dennis gets up and walks quietly away, towards the water, brushing sand off of his pants.

  • ERIC
  • Dude, you always have these crazy experiences.

  • SUSAN
  • Tell me about it...I'm fairly sure you spend most of your time just looking for random people who will give you good stories to tell.

  • The conversation fades as Dennis gets close to the water.

  • He begins walking parallel to the water, looking at the beach houses scattered across the shore line, their warm lights making the area feel warm and inviting.

  • The full moon scatters tiny light-gems across the surface of the water.

  • Dennis walks on, carefully avoiding the tide as it laps in.

  • He hears a splashing sound and turns out to the ocean.

  • There is nothing at first, then sunlight glints off of hair, a face, a person in the water and he stops to stare.

  • A YOUNG WOMAN walks waist-deep in the water, hair trailing down her back, white dress floating up in the water.

  • He walks closer, forgetting about the tide, then jerking back as it laps his sandals.

  • The woman walks, head down, arms at her sides.

  • She pulls her hands out of the water and lighting sparks around them.

  • Dennis' jaw drops and he tries to move into shadow while watching her.

  • A hand claps onto his shoulder.

  • He whirls around to find MARGARET, an old woman in jeans and a sturdy cane, behind him.

  • MARGARET
  • Shh.

  • DENNIS
  • What is she?

  • MARGARET
  • A star.

  • DENNIS
  • Excuse me?

  • MARGARET
  • Shhh! You're making enough noise to wake a stone Buddha.

  • DENNIS
  • I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

  • MARGARET
  • Shh!

  • DENNIS
  • What's this about movie stars?

  • MARGARET
  • I never said anything about movie stars. I said star. She fell. I think she's from Outer Ring.

  • DENNIS
  • Wait...you lost me at fell. A star star?

  • Margaret nods.

  • MARGARET
  • She's my third. I saw my first when I was seven, my second when I was 43. That's when I started tracking them.

  • DENNIS
  • Outer ring?

  • MARGARET
  • Of our galaxy.

  • Dennis begins walking towards the woman.

  • MARGARET
  • Wait, I wouldn't do that.

  • Dennis keeps walking, into the surf.

  • The young woman watches the lighting in her hands a lost look on her face.

  • Dennis walks deeper into the water.

  • MARGARET
  • Stop!

  • He reaches out and touches the star's shoulder, and his hand goes right through.

  • She turns, eyes wide and sees him.

  • Her eyes soften, and a molten tear drips down her face.

  • She reaches back to him and touches his face.

  • His eyes go wide and his eyes fill with light, becoming pure silver.

  • She jerks her hand back and he falls into the water.

  • Margaret rushes to him, splashing around with her cane and pulls him to safety.

  • He blinks opening his eyes and stares down the beach as the star looks at him, then turns, eyes full of sadness, and continues walking through the shallow water.

  • Margaret shakes her head as Dennis stares after the star.

  • MARGARET
  • Well know, if that isn't the saddest thing I've ever seen.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: