Sunday, July 13, 2008

195. Sh3kina: The Dancer - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT STREET - NIGHT

  • STEPHEN walks through quiet streets scanning the buildings around him.

  • He stops in the light of a streetlamp to inspect a small calling card.

  • It reads: You're invited to a night of magic at The Robot Bride for an exclusive concert by Intricate Delusions. 379 Industrial Dr.

  • He looks up and down the street, then spots a warehouse with "The Robot Bride" projected onto the wall.

  • He approaches and stops as a massive BOUNCER steps out of the shadows.

  • STEPHEN
  • Hey, I'm here for the concert.

  • BOUNCER
  • Name?

  • STEPHEN
  • Stephen Meier.

  • The bouncer inspects the list in his hand, then nods and steps aside, opening the door.

  • Stephen walks into the warehouse.

  • INT. THE ROBOT BRIDE - NIGHT

  • The space is almost completely pitch black.

  • Stephen looks around confused.

  • There is a loud pop and then another and lights hum on at the edges of the room.

  • There is a hiss and then flames ignite in the center of the room.

  • THE DANCER stands in the center of the room spinning flaming poi in the middle of a ring of tea lights.

  • STEPHEN
  • Oh, I think I have the wrong place, sorry...I'm looking for the concert?

  • THE DANCER
  • Hi Stephen.

  • STEPHEN
  • Wait...how do you you know my name?

  • THE DANCER
  • You should probably take your shoes off.

  • STEPHEN
  • Excuse me, what?

  • THE DANCER
  • Off. This is sacred space.

  • Stephen backs up to the door and tries to open it but it is locked.

  • STEPHEN
  • Hey! Look, I'm sure I have the wrong place, I'll just go...you can do your voodoo dance on your own.

  • THE DANCER
  • Stephen, now.

  • There is something about the voice, enchanting and terrifying that causes him to listen, removing his shoes and walking forward.

  • STEPHEN
  • Who are you?

  • The dancer whirls the flames around her face, smiling.

  • THE DANCER
  • I AM.

  • Stephen pales and steps back again.

  • THE DANCER
  • Don't be afraid. Come here.

  • Stephen walks towards her slowly.

  • THE DANCER
  • I've chosen you.

  • STEPHEN
  • For what? What could I possibly do?

  • She smiles again, mischievous.

  • THE DANCER
  • I should warn you, I am the wind, here one day, there the next. I'll make you like the wind; You will touch strange dimensions and command my armies with a word?

  • STEPHEN
  • Armies? You have the wrong guy. I don't think I have quite the qualifications you want. I still struggle with whether you exist or not, and in two days, I'll be rationalizing this. Wait, I'm doing it right now. And I'm not a good guy, I'm really not, you know this. I'm have no right to do anything for you.

  • THE DANCER
  • Stephen Lewis Meier, I don't make mistakes. Come here.

  • Stephen steps to the edge of the ring of candles.

  • The dancer walks forward and allows the flaming poi to hang from her hands.

  • She reaches out and flame leaps from her forefinger.

  • She touches his lips with her burning finger.

  • THE DANCER
  • You are clean. Go, be my subversive, whisper the words I give to you, spread my revolution quietly. I will never leave you, I will always be with you.

  • She turns and steps outside of the circle.

  • The candles extinguish and she is gone.

  • Stephen touches his lips and walks out the door, his finger still at his mouth.

  • He exits the warehouse and sees that no one is there.

  • He walks back down the sidewalk, pauses, then extends his hand in a quick motion.

  • A flame ignites above his palm and he laughs in amazement, then continues into the dark.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: