Thursday, July 3, 2008

185. Left Turns - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. SUBWAY STATION - DAY

  • A train pulls to a stop spilling its contents into the station.

  • MENA steps out of the train, her long dark hair spilling from a knit cap.

  • Two silver lip piercings twinkle against her dark, red lipstick.

  • She pauses, then finds a bench and sits down.

  • She digs in her purse, retrieves her vibrating cell phone, and looks at the screen.

  • The phone buzzes insistently; she studies the caller ID, pursing her lips, the takes a breath and answers.

  • MENA
  • Hi, Aaron.

  • Two columns to the right of her, AARON leans against the shiny metal side of an escalator and waits, phone to his ear.

  • AARON
  • I remember how I first met you.

  • MENA
  • What are you doing Aaron?

  • AARON
  • You were slow-dancing in the rain, in the middle of the park. I remember the park lights making your hair glow.

  • MENA
  • You said something about me being an Angel.

  • EXT. PARK BENCH - DAY

  • Mena and AARON sit on the park bench HOLDING HANDS.

  • EXT. PARK - NIGHT

  • Mena stands soaked in the rain, grinning as she sees Aaron watching her.

  • AARON
  • Let me give you a ride home.

  • MENA
  • Ok.

  • AARON
  • Wait, you just trust me like that? You don't even know me.

  • MENA
  • You have a good face.

  • EXT. PARK BENCH - DAY

  • Mena and AARON sit further apart on the park bench their hands BARELY TOUCHING.

  • EXT. CITY STREET - NIGHT

  • Aaron bikes through the rain, with Mena perched precariously on his handlebars as he weaves from the street to the sidewalk and back.

  • INT. SUBWAY STATION - DAY

  • AARON
  • You said I had a good face.

  • MENA
  • You'll always have a good face, a great face.

  • AARON
  • That was the problem, wasn't it?

  • EXT. CITY STREET - NIGHT

  • Mena readjusts herself on the handlebars.

  • AARON
  • Careful!

  • They come to a stoplight.

  • MENA
  • Turn here.

  • AARON
  • Which way?

  • MENA
  • Left! Always turn left.

  • INT. SUBWAY STATION - DAY

  • Aaron looks out over the tracks.

  • MENA
  • I'm sorry Aaron. You are everything I should want; but I'm not really into what I should want. I know what I want.

  • AARON
  • And it's not me.

  • MENA
  • No. God, you're such a great guy, any girl would be lucky to have you.

  • AARON
  • Don't. I wanted you. I want you. Not any random girl.

  • MENA
  • Sorry. Aaron, I have to go.

  • AARON
  • I'll wait; I wish I could say I'd wait forever, but I not much of a romantic anymore. When you get tired of settling for jerks...

  • MENA
  • Maybe I'll bump into you then.

  • Aaron hears her voice and spins to the left.

  • He sees her and hesitates.

  • He starts walking towards her, then turns back to the escalator.

  • AARON
  • Bye Mena. One day when you're ready, just turn right.

  • He hangs up and walks to the escalator.

  • EXT. PARK BENCH - DAY

  • Mena and AARON sit at opposite ends of the park bench, their hands touching the wooden slats.

  • EXT. CITY STREET - NIGHT

  • Aaron comes to a stop in front of an apartment complex.

  • Mena hops off the bicycle handles.

  • MENA
  • Now you know where to find me. You should come by again and sooner rather than later. I won't wait forever.

  • She gives him a long kiss on his cheek, smiles, and disappears into the building.

  • INT. SUBWAY STATION - DAY

  • Aaron watches Mena as he rises on the escalator.

  • She slowly closes the phone, biting her lip.

  • Aaron disappears as the escalator takes him higher.

  • Mena glances right, hopefully, then seeing no one, stands, and walks left to the stairs.

  • She turns back one last time, then walks up into the sunlight.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: