Sunday, April 27, 2008

118. Wish You Were Here - Leslie





  • FADE IN:

  • INT. ROBIN'S LIVING ROOM - DAY

  • ROBIN sits cross-legged on his couch, his loose pajama pants flowing comfortably over the edge of the cushions.

  • He glances over at a flip calender whose large red numbers show that it is the 21st of October.

  • A home video is playing on his tv, on mute.

  • He considers the screen, then picks up the remote and slowly turns on the sound.

  • The camera is focused on ANNIE, a laughing young woman, slowly placing the last of her supplies on a yacht, as it bobs gently on its mooring.

  • A group of friends stands around the dock.

  • She turns.

  • ANNIE
  • That's it! I'm ready.

  • She moves around the circle hugging everyone.

  • FRIEND'S VOICE (OS)
  • Where are you going to go?

  • ANNIE
  • I have no idea. That's what's so great. I'm just going. I have to go.

  • She reaches the camera person, and the camera bobs dizzily as she hugs him and holds him for a long moment.

  • ANNIE
  • You can still come.

  • ROBIN
  • I can't.

  • ANNIE
  • Shhh. Can't is a bad word. Just come.

  • ROBIN
  • I can't...I mean, what happens to school, what happens to my plans?

  • ANNIE
  • They'll still all be here.

  • ROBIN
  • We talked about this Annie. I'll be here when you get back. I'll wait as long as it takes.

  • She steps back and the camera captures her face, the wind whipping tendrils of hair around her cheeks.

  • ANNIE
  • Bye Robin.

  • She steps back, then jumps onto the boat with a smooth motion, her small earrings dancing.

  • She waves to her friends, who cheer, and begins casting the boat off.

  • Robin grabs the remote and places the video on mute again.

  • Annie turns to the camera and yells something, and waves.

  • Robin continues to sit on the couch, staring at the images.

  • He clutches an old newspaper whose headline reads "Young Sailor Killed in Autumn Storm Off Cape Horn."

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: