Friday, April 11, 2008

101. Audience Choice - Leslie






  • FADE IN:

  • INT. SCREENING ROOM - EVENING

  • DAVE sits in his chair, twitching.

  • He fidgets with his filmmaker name tag hanging around his neck.

  • He looks up, and sees the opening sequence of a film start playing on the big screen.

  • He stands up, excusing himself, and slips to the back of the room and out the door.

  • INT. LOBBY - EVENING

  • He blinks in the bright lights of the lobby.

  • ERIC, a white-haired man, approaches him and smiles.

  • ERIC
  • Hey Dave, your film playing?

  • DAVE
  • Couldn't take it.

  • ERIC
  • I used to do that too. You do know it's the best thing playing tonight?

  • DAVE
  • Thanks, I appreciate that.

  • ERIC
  • The truth.

  • DAVE
  • I can't deal with seeing it. But, I'm glad you liked it.

  • ERIC
  • They're going to love it.

  • DAVE
  • You know, I'm scared of...them. They'll love it, and I'll keep hearing about how they love it...and my head is going to swell, I'll become this arrogant, oh, I don't know.

  • ERIC
  • I won't let that happen.

  • DAVE
  • Oh, thanks.

  • ERIC
  • Sometimes you need to hear them. See that this little thing you did has touched them. This is your weekend, wear those laurels, but on Monday, move on.

  • Dave nods.

  • DAVE
  • It's almost at the end, I can hear it.

  • The music goes soft, then swells.

  • The audience cheers, the sound muffled by the thick doors.

  • Eric motions.

  • ERIC
  • Come on, let's get you those laurels.

  • Dave takes a deep breath, then nods.

  • Eric pulls open the door, and they enter the room the cheers swelling.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: