Wednesday, April 23, 2008

113. Growing Old - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. NEIGHBORHOOD SIDEWALK - DAY

  • DIANA and BEN walk slowly down the sidewalk looking around at the variety of houses in the neighborhood.

  • DIANA
  • We should do this more often.

  • BEN
  • Yeah, I like just wandering through random places. Oh, look at that one, I'd love to live there.

  • He points to a small, neat bungalow tucked behind several trees.

  • DIANA
  • Not bad. I like that one.

  • She points to a boxy, more modern house with a large yard and massive picture window.

  • BEN
  • I could deal with that, yeah.

  • He sneaks a look at her and smiles.

  • They pass a house with a large porch.

  • An OLD COUPLE sits together looking out over the street, holding hands.

  • BEN
  • Oh, that's exactly where I want to be when I'm that old.

  • DIANA
  • Really? God...

  • BEN
  • What?

  • DIANA
  • You're one of those romantics.

  • BEN
  • Well, you've known me for long enough.

  • DIANA
  • It's so stupid, seriously, the whole thing. "Oh I want to grow old with someone." I want to be comfortable, independent, and certainly not tied down do some old geezer.

  • Ben steps back a bit, hurt.

  • Diana doesn't notice.

  • BEN
  • Hey, you shouldn't ever close the door on the possibility that you might want to grow old with someone one day.

  • DIANA
  • Uh, yeah, I can. Consider that door slammed.

  • She keeps walking forward and he pauses, thoughts flitting across his face.

  • He watches her as she keeps walking.

  • DIANA
  • You coming?

  • Ben looks up, and pauses.

  • BEN
  • Yeah, I'm coming.

  • He shakes his head, his face returning to normal, his eyes still distant.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: