Sunday, April 13, 2008

104. Fistful - Leslie






  • FADE IN:

  • JAMIE ORCHID'S HOUSE - DAY

  • ROBERT stands outside the door of the house, holding a small, neatly arranged bouquet of roses.

  • He shuffles, and looks at the bouquet, then shakes his head and tosses it behind the bushes around the porch.

  • He closes his eyes for a moment, then straightens, and rings the doorbell.

  • JAMIE (OS)
  • Just a minute!

  • Footsteps travel towards the door, ringing louder, and then the door opens, with a soft whine.

  • Jamie looks through the screen and stops.

  • Robert looks up at her.

  • JAMIE
  • You.

  • ROBERT
  • Hi Jamie.

  • JAMIE
  • Why are you here?

  • ROBERT
  • I came to say sorry.

  • JAMIE
  • You think that'll change anything?

  • ROBERT
  • I don't know, I thought...

  • JAMIE
  • Glad you started doing that.

  • ROBERT
  • Can I come in?

  • JAMIE
  • No, I don't think so.

  • ROBERT
  • I understand.

  • JAMIE
  • No, you really don't.

  • ROBERT
  • I'm so sorry.

  • JAMIE
  • What are you really here for? Are you here because you truly feel sorry, or are you just here because it's the next thing on your list. Are you trying to fix your karma? Is this for me, or for you?

  • ROBERT
  • I really hurt you.

  • JAMIE
  • Gee, really?

  • ROBERT
  • Look, can you just let me finish?

  • JAMIE
  • Oh, so it is just a list, just something you need to get done, just something you need to finish. Get off my porch, Robert.

  • She sees that Robert's hands are shaking.

  • She reaches for the handle of the screen door, then reconsiders.

  • ROBERT
  • I don't know, I don't know, I don't know what to do. I'm so sorry.

  • JAMIE
  • That doesn't help me. That changes nothing. Go take your sorry someplace else.

  • Robert slumps and lifts his head, revealing his tears.

  • Jamie touches the door handle, then pushes it open and puts a hand on his shoulder.

  • JAMIE
  • Ok, ok, it's ok.

  • ROBERT
  • No, it's not.

  • JAMIE
  • You're right. But I'm going to try.

  • ROBERT
  • I don't deserve it.

  • JAMIE
  • Still going to try.

  • ROBERT
  • I raped you.

  • Jamie's jaw tightens.

  • JAMIE
  • A fistful of sorries wouldn't have helped you; but you're here at my door, crying. So I can try to forgive you. Now please, please go, I don't ever want to see you again.

  • Robert nods, and turns, walking away from her.

  • He gets into his car, looking back once, then speeds off.

  • Jamie steps onto the porch, and sits down, her lips tight.

  • She looks left, and sees the discarded bouquet.

  • She picks the bouquet up and dusts it off.

  • She stands up, holding the roses, and turns to the door, tears tracing a quiet path down her cheeks.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: