Sunday, October 26, 2008

300. St. Ian and the Revelation Blues - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. CHURCH ROOF - DUSK

  • IAN climbs up the side of the church wall, careful not to look down at the ground far below him.

  • The ladder, bolted to the brick, is rusty in spots, showing its age.

  • He reaches the roof and pulls himself over the side.

  • AMIRA sits on the other side, his feet dangling over the busy city street below.

  • He is almost completely androgynous, a face so beautiful that one instant many would insist he is a woman and at the same time so masculine that many others would be just as sure that he is a man - it is a face that is almost liquid in its ambivalence.

  • Ian sits next to him, back against the short wall separating roof from thin air.

  • AMIRA
  • You humans are quiet the odd bunch, dear one. I really do enjoy watching you.

  • IAN
  • Thanks, I think.

  • AMIRA
  • You're tense, Pastor.

  • IAN
  • Had a conversation with a lady in the lobby about Revelation. Always stresses me out. I feel like maybe I don't take it seriously enough.

  • AMIRA
  • Do you keep an eye open for the signs?

  • IAN
  • Yes...

  • AMIRA
  • Then you do what is necessary for that. Your job is not to obsess about these things - you're supposed to be building the kingdom here. You do what you need to here, in this place - let Father work the rest out.

  • IAN
  • I know, I know, and yet I still stress.

  • AMIRA
  • There's a reason we weren't given the time of the Return. Look, you are part of something big here. And I get to see it happen, I'm pretty excited. You get your people really talking to Father and soon. Then watch. Something big's coming.

  • IAN
  • Do you mean...?

  • AMIRA
  • There you go again. Look, Father could return tomorrow and he could return after you humans have colonized the solar system. You don't need to be worrying about that.

  • IAN
  • Right.

  • He turns to Amira.

  • IAN
  • Are you just part of my mind, here to make me feel better? Am I just hallucinating.

  • Amira winks at him.

  • Ian shakes his head and looks away, down the length of the roof.

  • IAN
  • Sometimes I think you're just my way of comforting myself - maybe reinforcing some of my own thoughts or guilt, even.

  • He turns back to Amira, but Amira is gone.

  • IAN
  • Figures.

  • He leans back against the brick, and takes a deep breath.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: