Thursday, October 9, 2008

283. Sticks, Stones - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. FOREST / ELSEWHERE - DAY

  • TEDDY walks across the football field, backpack swung over one shoulder.

  • He plays idly with a dandelion, whose delicacy stands in sharp contrast to his large, linebacker's body.

  • A GROUP of guys, lead by HANK, has formed around the bleachers, surrounding DENNIS.

  • Hank shoves him.

  • HANK
  • Hey fag, keep your hands off me!

  • Hank shoves him again.

  • HANK
  • I told you, keep your hands off me!

  • The guys laugh as Dennis gamely attempts to fight back.

  • HANK
  • What makes you can take us, huh? Why don't you go back to San Francisco or wherever it is you and your queen friends spawn from?

  • Dennis spits his words out from swollen lips.

  • DENNIS
  • I'm from here.

  • HANK
  • Well, we don't want you.

  • Dennis attempts to leave and the other guys shove him back towards Hank.

  • He grabs Hank's shoulder, trying to balance.

  • HANK
  • I told you not to touch me.

  • He punches Dennis square in the jaw; Dennis wobbles, then falls.

  • Teddy moves faster, jogging.

  • Hank notices him and gestures deferentially.

  • HANK
  • Yo Teddy, you want a piece of the fag?

  • TEDDY
  • First thing, I don't want to ever here you use that word around me again, and second of all, he's coming with me.

  • He pushes aside the other guys and reaches for Dennis.

  • DENNIS
  • I'm fine, don't touch me.

  • He attempts to stand but can't.

  • HANK
  • Awww, look at him. Gay boy found a new friend. Careful Ted, you might get homosexual germs all over you.

  • TEDDY
  • Back off Hank, you're better than that.

  • He picks Dennis up, despite his protestations and pulls him away from the group.

  • HANK
  • Better be careful, might catch fag from him.

  • Teddy shakes his head and pulls the struggling Dennis away from the group and down the field.

  • The mob dissolves with a few angry shouts in Teddy's direction.

  • Dennis pulls himself away.

  • TEDDY
  • You ok?

  • DENNIS
  • I don't need your charity, you're no better than them.

  • TEDDY
  • What'd I do?

  • DENNIS
  • You hate me just like everyone else, just say it...say fag, let it out, I want to hear the hate.

  • TEDDY
  • I don't know what you're talking about. Wait, if you're talking about what I said in class yesterday?

  • DENNIS
  • What do you think? You think that my type of love is wrong. What, you want to see me suffer alone, not have the same rights you get. What do you want?

  • TEDDY
  • Look, just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't think you should have the same rights I do. I think you should. But I think I should be allowed to disagree with you. I'm not trying to take anything away from you.

  • Dennis shakes his head.

  • DENNIS
  • You're just a homophobe like all the rest, you just hide behind it better. Next time, don't help me, just keep walking.

  • He stalks off, leaving Teddy to stare in disbelief after him.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: