Wednesday, October 1, 2008

275. Marked - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. WRIGHT SQUARE, SAVANNAH - NIGHT

  • ERIC sits on a comfortably old wooden bench under the branches of a tree dripping with Spanish moss.

  • The moonlight filters through the foliage making the park feel as if there is a subtle magic at work.

  • He is dressed in jeans, a plain t-shirt and somewhat anachronistically wears a dark vest with a pocket watch and chain.

  • GEM walks off of the street into the park and spots Eric.

  • She is dress in a dark skirt and tanktop; and has two nose rings that glisten in the light.

  • She carries a thermos with her.

  • GEM
  • Hey, you, I brought your tea.

  • Eric grins at her.

  • ERIC
  • Why, thank you.

  • She sits next to him on the bench.

  • GEM
  • I'm still very confused by you.

  • Eric chuckles and pours a stream of tea from the thermos into the metal lid.

  • He sips it and closes his eyes, savoring it.

  • ERIC
  • What's there to be confused about?

  • Gem just looks at him and raises an eyebrow.

  • ERIC
  • I need to stretch.

  • Gem keeps looking at him.

  • ERIC
  • Gem?

  • GEM
  • Oh, right, sorry.

  • She hops off the bench.

  • Eric shift his shoulders around and then with a powerful motion unfurls large dark wings.

  • GEM
  • What's there to be confused about he says? You're an angel for goodness sakes, a..a watcher? Whatever it is. When I started going to church, I didn't quite expect to be signing up for this.

  • ERIC
  • Oh, it's been going on a lot longer than that...besides, you've always had a feeling there was something else.

  • GEM
  • Whatever. You should probably tuck those away.

  • ERIC
  • I've got 45 seconds before the next passerby walks past, I intended to enjoy those 45 seconds.

  • GEM
  • So why me? I mean...

  • Eric quickly folds his wings in as a YOUNG MAN and his ST. BERNARD walk past.

  • GEM
  • I was saying, that, why not start hanging out with someone who has been a believer for longer? I mean, some could certainly use that evidence. See what I mean, confusing.

  • ERIC
  • Father has his reasons and trust me, for some of those people, seeing me wouldn't help or hinder what they believe.

  • GEM
  • So you said you had good news...and bad news.

  • ERIC
  • Don't be afraid.

  • GEM
  • That's easy for you to say; I'm not sure that bad news from an angel is something I want to know about.

  • ERIC
  • You were marked before you were born; you can walk away, but it would be walking away from that which you were designed for.

  • GEM
  • Stop being cryptic.

  • Eric sips at his tea and studies her.

  • ERIC
  • You are to be a messenger. It is time again for the young to see visions and speak words they themselves cannot understand.

  • GEM
  • A prophet?

  • ERIC
  • You could say that.

  • GEM
  • Oh, you are out of your mind. This is ludicrous. I, I mean, it's a bit tough to swallow...wait, not even a bit. Very, ridiculously hard to swallow.

  • ERIC
  • You accept my existence.

  • GEM
  • I also accept that I might be raving nuts. Sweet mother of Ghandi...

  • ERIC
  • She was sweet woman.

  • GEM
  • Oh come on.

  • ERIC
  • Do not be afraid, the Spirit will go before you, She will guide you in Truth and give you wisdom.

  • GEM
  • But I'm so wrong for this, I've messed up so much, I still do. I'm not...

  • ERIC
  • Shhhh.

  • A flame ignites above his hand.

  • ERIC
  • There is no separation between you and Father. He has removed all sin. Do not call unclean what He has declared clean.

  • The flame reflects in Gem's eyes.

  • GEM
  • Ok. I'm not ready, but I'm willing.

  • The flame disappears.

  • Eric sits and pours another cup of tea.

  • GEM
  • I'm going to have to do some things that are pretty terrifying aren't I?

  • ERIC
  • Yeah, but so did Ghandi, Erasmus, The Weather Underground, and all your heroes. You wanted to be a revolutionary, welcome to the quiet revolution. Tea?

  • He offers her the cup.

  • GEM
  • Yes, please, looks like I'm going to need it.

  • She sits back down on the bench and takes the cup, holding it with both hands and thrilling at its warmth.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: