Wednesday, October 8, 2008

282. Oolong and Regret - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. LIVING ROOM - MORNING

  • HELEN sits on her couch, a massive cup of Oolong tea in one hand while the other holds a cellphone to her ear.

  • A vase of blood-red orchids sits on the coffee table, a crumpled note still hanging from one of the stems.

  • HELEN
  • Yes, I really did break up with him. Yes, I'm realizing it was a mistake...I've been realizing all night.

  • She takes a long sip of her tea.

  • HELEN
  • I know I'm an idiot. Of course its too late. I thought I broke his heart - yes, yes I was a little patronizing last night, but it turns out, I just broke mine too.

  • She puts the cup on the table.

  • HELEN
  • Oh my word Jaz, you want to keep rubbing it in? I screwed up.

  • She looks darkly at her mug.

  • HELEN
  • These are the kinds of things people never recover from. I am not being dramatic! Yeah, yeah, he left on the first flight. I don't know where he's going and he wouldn't tell me.

  • She picks the mug up again and stands, pacing.

  • HELEN
  • I guess I got too comfortable with him, forgot that he was amazing. Yes, he proposed to me and I break up with him - you want to keep beating me up? Obviously you do. Yeah, yeah I have Oolong on tape, I'll be sucking it down all day. I know I'm predictable. Come on! You're his sister, can't you do something? I'm sorry...I know its my fault. You don't know where he is either? I'm sorry Jaz, I really am. Ok...ok.

  • She hangs up and sits back down.

  • Holding the mug between both hands, she stares out across her small living room.

  • She yanks petals off the orchids and tosses them into the air.

  • Still holding the mug, she lets out a groan and buries her head in one of the couch pillows.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: