Sunday, August 31, 2008

244. Portraits: Mae - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. SUNSHINE CAFE - DAY

  • MAE sits on the edge of the sidewalk, the edges of her cargo pants whipped back and forth by the passing cars.

  • Her brilliant red hair obscures the massive, industrial-strength headphones she is wearing.

  • She holds a cup full of steaming tea in her hand.

  • Dipping a finger into the tea, she captures a drop of liquid on her skin, then holds it up to the light; the bead of tea shimmers for a moment before she dabs it on her tongue, with a little smile of satisfaction.

  • She does this again and again, drinking her tea with excruciating slowness.

  • JOHN, sitting at a nearby table watches her quizzically.

  • ARNIE, a waiter dressed crisply in black stops by his table.

  • ARNIE
  • Is there anything else I can get you?

  • JOHN
  • No, everything was delicious. I do have a question. What in the world is she doing?

  • ARNIE
  • Ha! I wish I knew. She comes here every Tuesday, gets a different tea and sits on the curb, drinking just like that. I don't think she's homeless, but...

  • John stands up and walks over to her.

  • JOHN
  • Excuse me, excuse me, I don't mean to bother you, but...

  • Mae dips her finger into the cup.

  • He taps her on the shoulder and she calmly turns to him.

  • JOHN
  • What exactly are you doing and why?

  • She smiles at him, shakes her head, and puts a finger to her lips, then turns back to the street, drinking the droplet from her finger.

  • John returns to his seat shaking his head.

  • ARNIE
  • I'm kind of glad she didn't answer, it would have ruined the mystery.

  • The two men stare at her, watching in confused awe as she holds a bead of tea up to the light.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: