Monday, August 18, 2008

231. Into the Dark - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. SOLOMON TOWER - DAY

  • ROBIN sits on the edge of the skyscraper, her feet tucked under her.

  • She pulls at her trenchcoat.

  • Her dark hair is cropped short with the exception of three thin braids that curve down her face.

  • ROBIN
  • I like it up here. I can get away from the rollercoaster. The constant up and down; all the feelings that I can't ever quite figure out. Just me and the wind.

  • She looks out at the city lights twinkling below her and licks her lips.

  • ROBIN
  • You know what's funny, I still like vampire movies. How ironic is that? What do you think?

  • She turns, looking at the person with whom she is speaking for the first time.

  • ALAN is handcuffed, arms in front, to a lighting rod, his face pale in the moonlight.

  • His tie is loose and his suit a bit rumpled.

  • ALAN
  • Look lady, I just want to go home, just let me go, please.

  • ROBIN
  • Shhh. Shhh. Turns out I don't care about your opinion as much as I thought I did a second ago.

  • he puts a finger to her lips, then licks her long, thin incisors.

  • Alan pales even further.

  • ROBIN
  • Huh. I didn't think it was humanly possibly to turn that shade.

  • She turns back to the street.

  • ROBIN
  • Three years ago I missed sunlight so bad that I went outside sunrise, just to see. It was wonderful; I lost three fingers and my retinas were melted; not to mention the third degree burns. Took me months to heal-you know, bone takes a ridiculous amount of time to grow back. Completely worth it.

  • He shivers, the cuffs clanking against the metal pole.

  • ROBIN
  • So you wake up one day and realize that the infinite just isn't worth it. Not without a little human blood. I've been living on cows with the occasional raccoon thrown in for the last twenty years. 7,300 days, 21 hours, and 31 seconds as of right....now. I try not to steal from blood banks...but sometimes, I just need the taste, you know? I'm sure you get it.

  • She chuckles.

  • ROBIN
  • So what do I do with you?

  • She turns back.

  • ROBIN
  • Why do I have you here? No, don't bother to answer, I'm asking myself. I could feed, certainly would make eternity a little friendlier. All that warm, fresh...no no, none of that. Hi, I'm Robin, and loved to drink you dry.

  • She giggles a bit.

  • Alan cries softly.

  • ROBIN
  • Shhh, shhh, it's ok. I could turn you if you wanted. Someone gave me the choice...not that it's much of a choice! But it's something. I'm so hungry. And you've got such pretty skin. Mmmm, silky and chocolate. I like a little chocolate with my meals...

  • ALAN
  • Look, please don't torture me, just get it over with.

  • ROBIN
  • Torture you? Torture you? Do you realize I'm trying to make a really difficult decision here. Torture you! I'm torturing myself, so just hold off a bit on the begging, you might need to save that for a bit later.

  • She tilts her head up and stares at the moon in silence for a long moment.

  • ROBIN
  • I like it up here. It's so peaceful. Do you think it's quiet after you die? That's all I want now. It's been a loud life. The afterlife better be quiet as a...well, insert your own death-related pun there, you seem like a creative guy.

  • She turns to him and he can see the silver tears that have left trails all over her face.

  • ROBIN
  • I'm gonna miss this; but there's only so much eternity I can deal with and I can see all their eyes. And they're all asking why and I don't have any answers. Oh, the keys to the cuffs are...

  • She pulls them out of her coat pocket and tosses the keys at his feet.

  • ROBIN
  • Can't make it too easy.

  • She hops off the ledge onto the roof and wraps herself around him, nuzzling his neck.

  • He closes his eyes.

  • She steps back and he opens his eyes, pulling back as far as he can.

  • She smiles at him, then turns back to the ledge.

  • ROBIN
  • Let's see if stakes really do the trick.

  • She runs, diving off the edge of the building, her body floating as she freefalls.

  • Below her is a fenced-in collection of power transformers, the large power towers, a steel forest towards which she hurtles.

  • She has aimed well and is falling directly into the top of one of the towers.

  • She looks up at the stars and focuses on them she falls.

  • There is a thud, a sharp inhalation of breath, a soft, ragged exhalation, and finally, silence.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: