Friday, August 1, 2008

214. Unveiled - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. DECK - DAY

  • INAYA and JUDY sit on comfortable deck chairs watching their friends splash around in the pool.

  • Inaya adjusts her hijab and laughs as one of the BOYS does a bellyflop.

  • Judy watches her adjust the cloth.

  • JUDY
  • I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend you or anything, but why do you still wear that thing?

  • Inaya turns to her, surprised.

  • INAYA
  • That's loaded statement. It's not a thing. It's a Hijab. I'm pretty sure I know what you want to say, but I don't jump to conclusions, so spit it out.

  • JUDY
  • I mean, it's a symbol of oppression; you're a feminist, a strong woman, and yet you're chained to that.

  • INAYA
  • Wow, you keep going with the loaded words. Chained? Really? This is a choice.

  • JUDY
  • But women are forced to wear those to protect some man's ego and sense of piety.

  • INAYA
  • I was not forced to wear this. I made a choice because I felt it honored my religion.

  • She reaches over and touches the crucifix on Judy's neck.

  • INAYA
  • I could say that you shouldn't wear that because it stands for hundreds of years of oppression and war; but I don't, because I understand that it stands for something much deeper and much purer than that. You wear it to honor and celebrate your beliefs. The same reasons I wear my hijab.

  • JUDY
  • Wow.

  • INAYA
  • And don't assume every man whose wife wears a hijab is a misogynist pig. My mother wore a burkha all her life but that says nothing about my father. He loved as much as a man can love a woman and respected her.

  • JUDY
  • I'm sorry, I guess I should be more careful about getting caught up in stereotypes.

  • Inaya relaxes her shoulders.

  • INAYA
  • No worries...I forget how foreign all this must seem sometimes.

  • They sit in silence for a bit.

  • JUDY
  • I think I'm going to have to recover from the tongue-lashing, but when I do, I'd like to hear more. Now you've got me intrigued.

  • Inaya blushes.

  • Judy stands and walks into the house.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: