Saturday, May 17, 2008

138. Perfect Timing - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. STEVEN'S KITCHEN - DAY

  • Steven paces the tile, tapping his fingers against the countertops.

  • He looks in the refrigerator, it's completely empty.

  • The house is bare, all his belongings packed away.

  • A moving guy walks briskly past with the last of Steven's belongings.

  • The door slams, and the truck moves away.

  • Steven takes a deep breath, and paces some more.

  • He opens the refrigerator again.

  • STEVEN
  • Stop, stop.

  • He turns away from the fridge door and digs into his pocket.

  • After a bit of fumbling, he pulls his cell phone out and flips it open.

  • He places it to his ear.

  • The faint sound of ringing escapes past his ear and echoes softly in the empty room.

  • AUTOMATED VOICEMAIL
  • I'm sorry, "Erin White" is not available at this time, press one to send a numeric page or wait until the tone to leave a message.

  • STEVEN
  • Hey Erin, I'm a few hours away from catching my flight. I'm feeling those lonely, moving jitters. Like I haven't been able to see everyone, or I'm forgetting something. I'd hoped you'd pick up. I just need a few minutes with you. I'm sorry for being an idiot these last few years, and it's probably too late to do anything about that right now, but I just want to see you. I think I missed out on the best thing in my life because I was scared you weren't exactly right. I'm probably running out of time. Meet me at the usual...I'll be there until three.

  • EXT. ARCHER'S FIELD - DAY

  • Steven paces the newly mowed field, around and around a copse of trees at the far edge. The large field curves across the hills.

  • He looks at his watch, it's 2:45.

  • He shakes his head, and hikes back to his car.

  • He hesitates as he reaches the car, looking at the road, waiting.

  • He sighs then gets in, and drives slowly back onto the road.

  • The field sits empty, the trees swaying in the warm breeze as he begins to leave.

  • A car pulls onto the field, coming from the opposite direction.

  • The driver's side door flies open, and ERIN tumbles out in jeans and flip flops.

  • She races after Steven's car.

  • ERIN
  • Steven, Steven!

  • He never looks back, driving on.

  • She slows, running out of energy and breath.

  • Erin looks at her watch and her face twists. 2:55.

  • She walks across the field.

  • She sits down in the expanse of trees against a broad trunk and buries her head in her hands.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: