Tuesday, May 13, 2008

134. Contact - Leslie





  • FADE IN:

  • INT. DEREK'S APARTMENT - EVENING

  • Derek stands by a window in his apartment.

  • He holds a pair of binoculars in his hand and peers out the window across at LEE's apartment.

  • A phone sits on the end-table next to the window.

  • He looks at his watch as the second hands tick towards 12; then looks up in anticipation as the hour hand ticks to 7 pm.

  • LEE opens the blinds of her apartment.

  • Derek pulls the binoculars to his face and watches her.

  • She dances around the apartment, her black t-shirt and striped pajama bottoms standing out from the deep red walls of her living room.

  • She plays air guitar for a while, lost in the music.

  • Derek watches, completely still.

  • She disappears from sight.

  • The phone behind Derek rings and he reaches for it without even looking.

  • He puts it to his ear.

  • DEREK
  • Hi Lee.

  • LEE (V.O.)
  • Hi Derek, good evening.

  • She steps back into sight across the street, holding her own pair of binoculars.

  • Her arms are covered in tattoos that swirl into each other, dancing dizzily on her skin.

  • DEREK
  • Nice moves.

  • LEE
  • Why thanks. I like that tie you're wearing.

  • Derek loosens it a bit and readjusts his thick glasses.

  • DEREK
  • Man will only become civilized when he stops tying a noose around his neck.

  • Lee throws back her head laughing, binoculars at her side.

  • Derek smiles, pleased.

  • LEE
  • How was your day?

  • She looks at her watch.

  • DEREK
  • You should go, I know you don't have too much time today. I'd like to do coffee soon.

  • LEE
  • Thanks for understanding. About the coffee; I don't know, are you sure we're ready for that?

  • DEREK
  • I don't know.

  • LEE
  • I don't think I am.

  • DEREK
  • Well, I won't rush you, we'll wait.

  • LEE
  • You're a sweetheart. I really can't wait to see you in person, I just, it's not time yet.

  • DEREK
  • I can't say I completely get it, but I'll respect it; I can't wait either.

  • LEE
  • Thanks babe. Tomorrow?

  • DEREK
  • Same time.

  • They hang up at the same time, the phones clicking.

  • She peers at him for a moment longer through her binoculars, then closes her blinds.

  • He waits, then closes his too, turning towards his apartment with a quiet sigh.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: