Wednesday, May 14, 2008

135. The Enlightenment of Art - Leslie





  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. CITY BLUFFS - LATE AFTERNOON

  • ART sits cross-legged at the edge of the cliff looking over the city.

  • ANGIE sits next to him, legs dangling off the edge.

  • ANGIE
  • I'm glad you got this time off. Ever since the bombings you haven't had a chance to sleep...do you think it'll ever happen here?

  • ART
  • I don't think so; but who knows? I think you can't live with that hanging over you.

  • Art's cell phone begins to ring.

  • ART sits cross-legged at the edge of the cliff looking over the city.

  • He pulls it off his belt and looks at the number; his back stiffens to ramrod straight as he sees it.

  • ANGIE
  • Your boss?

  • Art grins.

  • ART
  • Habit.

  • He answers the phone.

  • ART
  • Sir? Yes, sir. Sir? And there's no chance of...? Yes sir, Could I bring...? No, sir? Alright. Yes, I'll be doing that. Thank you, sir.

  • He hangs up, looking at the phone for a long moment.

  • ANGIE
  • You have to go to work?

  • ART
  • No.

  • ANGIE
  • Good. Wait, what's wrong?

  • Art looks up and smiles at her.

  • ART
  • Nothing. It's good to be here with you.

  • She pokes him in the ribs.

  • ANGIE
  • BFFs?

  • ART
  • Always.

  • He looks at her.

  • ANGIE
  • Something's wrong.

  • ART
  • I just realized that I've been an idiot for a very long time.

  • He kneels in front of her.

  • ART
  • I think I've been scared for a very long time. Scared of this, but we're the best thing that ever happened...for each other anyway, I mean. Will you marry me?

  • Angie looks at him for a long moment, her eyes dancing.

  • A flash catches her attention, and she starts to turn towards it.

  • ART
  • Look at me.

  • He pulls her face back towards him.

  • ANGIE
  • Yes.

  • He leans in and kisses her.

  • Behind them, a mushroom cloud expands, a silent shock wave racing towards them.

  • He stares straight into her eyes, and she is lost, unaware.

  • The world turns white, and shockwave after shockwave passes over the cliffs.

  • As the dust fades, all that is left are the shadows of the kissing lovers.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: