Sunday, March 9, 2008

69. Dialog - Leslie






  • FADE IN:

  • INT. THE PORPOISE AND THE BEE BOOKSHOP - DAY

  • REGGIE sits in one of the large, dark blue chairs scattered in between the tall shelves of the bookstore.

  • He is enmeshed in a large winter jacket, and unruly tufts of hair poke out from underneath his knit cap.

  • His feet rest comfortable on a small duffel bag at his feet.

  • The screenplay for Kevin Smith's "Clerks" lies open on his lap. He stares down at it, intent on the words.

  • AMY steps down from one of the rolling ladders near Reggie.

  • Her rows of bracelets click as she lets go of the last rung.

  • She touches the pendant hanging around her neck, and readjusts the kerchief around her head, which is doing a decent job keeping her unruly curls in place.

  • She readjusts her name tag and stops, stealing a glance at Reggie's book.

  • Reggie looks up from his reading.

  • REGGIE
  • Hey Ames.

  • AMY
  • What's up Reg?

  • REGGIE
  • Not a whole lot, just trying to wrap my head around Clerks.

  • AMY
  • Oh yeah? Still trying eh? Good luck.

  • REGGIE
  • Thanks. Hey, I have a somewhat random question.

  • AMY
  • Yeah?

  • REGGIE
  • If you had just a few minutes to live, what would you do? I mean, how'd you spend it?

  • AMY
  • Ah, one of those questions. Gun to my head? Pun intended. Hmmm. I think...I think I'd find someone to have a good conversation with...and then have it of course.

  • REGGIE
  • Well, why don't we do that now?

  • AMY
  • What, do you know something I don't? You're not psychic are you?

  • REGGIE
  • No, no.

  • She sits in the empty chair next to him.

  • AMY
  • Ok then.

  • She looks around, the store is filling up but the other workers seem to have it under control.

  • REGGIE
  • So what do you mean by a good conversation?

  • AMY
  • It depends...in this case, in "my last conversation on earth," I don't want deep. Don't get me wrong, I love going really deep, philosophizing, but these will be the last thing I say. I want to embrace the simple, remember good moments.

  • REGGIE
  • A good moment? Like?

  • AMY
  • I think, well, there's this moment. Wow, I haven't thought of this in years, it's one of those things that just disappears, and then pops up, one day, today.

  • REGGIE
  • Those are good moments.

  • REGGIE
  • Yeah. I was seven, and I was running through a field with this kid. I don't remember his name. How do people writing memoirs manage to remember the names of people they knew when they were three? No clue. But yeah, no name, but I can remember his face. He had this beautiful bronze skin, and curls, tumbling down all over the place. I thought he was gorgeous. And we went chasing after these butterflies, these wonderful blue and gold butterflies, and as I was running with him, I remember thinking that this is what it must be to be in love. Makes me wish I could go back there.

  • Reggie studies her face.

  • She looks up, shy.

  • AMY
  • Thank you.

  • REGGIE
  • I'm sorry.

  • AMY
  • What? Why?

  • Reggie looks at his watch. It's 4:30. The store has gotten crowded.

  • He looks at her, and she continues to stare at him, waiting.

  • He opens his jacket, and pulls out a controller hooked to cables that run into the jacket and around his chest.

  • He nods to her and presses the button at the top of the controller.

  • There is a pause, and then a deafening explosion.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: