Thursday, September 25, 2008

269. Perchance - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. SIDEWALK - NIGHT

  • Julie walks slowly down the sidewalk, lost in thought.

  • She clutches a large art portfolio in her hands as she makes her way to the bus stop.

  • Ahead of her, ANGIE, a girl in a gray hoodie, tries to make a comfortable space against a store's metal security shutters.

  • She looks up at the approaching footsteps, ready for anything and her hoodie slips back, street light pulling her face from the shadows.

  • Julie freezes.

  • JULIE
  • Angie?

  • Angie winces, then looks up and recognizes Julie.

  • JULIE
  • Angie.

  • They stop, trying not to look directly at each other.

  • JULIE
  • Let me take you out. Coffee or something.

  • ANGIE
  • It's fine.

  • JULIE
  • Really, I insist.

  • Angie pauses, then sighs and nods.

  • She stands, rolls her sleeping bag carefully, slips it into a large backpack, and joins Julie.

  • The Blue Spiral, a little cafe across the street glows invitingly.

  • They both look at it, then at each other and nod.

  • INT. THE BLUE SPIRAL - NIGHT

  • Julie pushes the door open and Angie follows.

  • They slip into seats at a window table near the front.

  • Angie looks at a menu, but doesn't touch it.

  • Julie pushes it towards her.

  • JULIE
  • Please.

  • Angie opens the menu and scans it slowly, savoring each of the words as if they are the dishes themselves.

  • Julie scans her menu quickly.

  • Angie looks away from the menu and sees some of the PATRONS casting speculative glances at her.

  • She pushes her backpack with her toe, trying to shove it further under the table, but with no real effect.

  • The WAITRESS walks past.

  • WAITRESS
  • You guys ready to order?

  • Julie motions for Angie to go first.

  • ANGIE
  • I'll take this.

  • Angie points at the menu.

  • WAITRESS
  • The veggie burger with fries?

  • JULIE
  • Angie, you can get more if you want; it's on me.

  • ANGIE
  • That's all I want.

  • JULIE
  • Ok, I'll get a vanilla caramel milkshake please.

  • WAITRESS
  • Alright ladies, I'll get those to you ASAP.

  • She grabs their menus and bustles away.

  • There is a moment of strained silence.

  • JULIE
  • I can't believe you're here. I mean, the last time I saw you was...

  • ANGIE
  • Junior year.

  • JULIE
  • Wow...high school, yeah. Seems so far away now. How'd you end up all the way out here?

  • ANGIE
  • Just how life worked out I guess. You?

  • JULIE
  • Well, I finished up my degree two years ago and decided this was the best city to really pursue what I wanted to do. I want to set up my own gallery, display art that really needs to be seen, stuff that everyone else ignores you know? Maybe even display some of my pieces every once in a while. It's been two years and still it feels so far off. There are some days...living here is so ridiculously hard sometimes...oh, oh, I didn't mean, I mean, I'm sure that sounds pretty ridiculous coming from me when you're....

  • ANGIE
  • It's ok. Everything's relative right?

  • They sit in awkward silence.

  • Julie reaches for a menu before remembering that it's been taken.

  • She fidgets with the condiment tray.

  • Angie pushes at her backpack.

  • JULIE

  • I never understood, why'd you run away?

  • WAITRESS
  • The waitress bustles back with the burger, fries, and milkshake.

  • Ladies. Enjoy!

  • She deposits the food and then rushes off to another table.

  • Angie takes a bite of her burger.

  • Julie sips at her milkshake and watches Angie tear through the food.

  • Angie finishes the burger and starts polishing off the last of the fries.

  • JULIE
  • One day you were there, the next...we had no idea what happened.

  • Angie looks up as she finishes the last fry.

  • She carefully wipes her hands and stands.

  • ANGIE
  • Thank you.

  • JULIE
  • Look, please, you can crash at my place, we can get you some work, something, please.

  • ANGIE
  • Julie, thank you.

  • She stands, picks up her pack and walks out the door, down the sidewalk and into the night, her body becoming a silhouette.

  • Julie pushes her milkshake to the side and watches her disappear, then puts her face in her hands, her neglected milkshake growing warm.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: