Friday, September 5, 2008

249. Incompatible - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. THE ATTIC - NIGHT

  • The Attic is a small cafe and bookstore that maintains a slightly exclusive feeling.

  • Everybody knows everybody with the exception of the occasional stranger who stumbles into shop.

  • This evening, soft light from tea lights and wicker lamps illuminate the space.

  • ESHE, the owner, sits perched on the bar, reading a book, her spiky silver hair contrasting with her smooth, chocolate skin.

  • ANGIE sits on a love seat in the corner.

  • She holds a glass of wine in one hand.

  • MARLEN is perched on the the ample arm of the chair.

  • ANGIE
  • Ok, what exactly are you saying?

  • She takes a careful sip of the wine.

  • Marlen takes a deep breath.

  • MARLEN
  • I know we both have feelings for each other, but I can't date you.

  • ANGIE
  • You won't date me?

  • MARLEN
  • Ok, won't, fine.

  • ANGIE
  • Because you happen to be a Christianist hypocrite and I choose to keep a healthy dose of skepticism in my life.

  • MARLEN
  • That's not fair. Don't lump me in with the religious right just because...

  • ANGIE
  • Because you won't date me since I choose not to believe in your God? I think that gives me plenty of reason to lump you in with every other theocratic...

  • MARLEN
  • Please, Angie.

  • ANGIE
  • We're quite possibly perfect for each other except for this and you're going to let your superstitions get in your way?

  • MARLEN
  • Not fair.

  • ANGIE
  • Sorry.

  • MARLEN
  • You don't sound like it.

  • ANGIE
  • Look...

  • MARLEN
  • It's like this...my spiritual journey or whatever you want to call it, is really important to me. And yeah, we're so perfect; but if you don't get where I'm coming from spiritually, if you can tolerate, but not really understand why I choose to worship my God, then there's a huge piece missing. It's not a judgment on your beliefs.

  • ANGIE
  • Like hell it isn't.

  • MARLEN
  • I don't know what else to say. Maybe I am a jerk, but I you know I was in the friendship simply for the sake of friendship. I never tried to preach, I've listened, we've discussed...and yeah, I hoped we'd end up together.

  • ANGIE
  • Then why aren't we?

  • MARLEN
  • I can't do it. If there's one thing I think a couple should share, it's the direction they're heading spiritually, with or without a deity. And if I believe that an essential part of a relationship is two people involved in prayer and relationship with God, how do I reconcile that in a relationship with you?

  • Angie stares at him, her fingers tight around the stem of her glass.

  • She pulls it back, as if contemplating tossing it into Marlen's face.

  • MARLEN
  • Don't.

  • She stops, then looking straight into his eyes, slowly and deliberately stands, and tilts the glass into his lap.

  • With measured steps, she walks away from him, leaving him to stare after her, the stain of wine spreading down his pant legs.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: