Saturday, September 6, 2008

250. The Rare One - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. LIVINGROOM - NIGHT

  • AARON sits on his couch with his head in his hands.

  • AARON (VO)
  • She's one of those rare ones, you know what, not just one of those...she is the rare one. The one you spend your life hoping for.

  • INT. COFFEESHOP - NIGHT

  • Aaron and THE RARE ONE sit at a small table at the center of the shop.

  • The rest of the room falls off into darkness, as if they are the only to people in existence.

  • They hold hands across the table.

  • AARON (VO)
  • We get into these long conversations that range from the dearth of exotic anemone in pet stores to obscure political parties in Vermont. She gets my weird moods and I know just when I should buy her jasmine-scented candles.

  • EXT. SIDEWALK - NIGHT

  • Aaron and The Rare One walk under street lights holding hands.

  • AARON (VO)
  • And then she leans over and whispers that there's something she has to tell me. And her eyes have gone all wrong and I'm afraid.

  • Her lips move.

  • AARON (VO)
  • She says, "I'm sorry I waited this long. I used to be a man, I have one more surgery to go. I've always been a woman up here." And she taps her head.

  • She touches her temple.

  • Aaron lets go of her hand and steps backwards away from her, then walks away.

  • AARON (VO)
  • She yells after me, "I thought you were a real man!"

  • She stands under a street light crying.

  • EXT. SIDEWALK - DAY

  • Aaron walks quickly on the sidewalk, racing to The Rare One's apartment.

  • AARON (VO)
  • I finally get my head straight and realize I'll never find someone else like her.

  • Flashing lights color the sidewalk.

  • Behind police tape, The Rare One is sprawled on the ground, dead.

  • AARON (VO)
  • The cops tell me she jumped this morning.

  • Aaron stands, frozen, staring at the body, shaking his head as if that will make it all go away.

  • INT. LIVINGROOM - NIGHT

  • AARON sits on his couch with his head in his hands.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: