Friday, November 28, 2008

333. Infinite Worlds - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. WESTHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY - NIGHT

  • SCOTT walks through the glass doors of the library.

  • He strides past the the front desk.

  • AMELIA sits behind the desk, small, square glasses perched on her nose, just behind a small nose ring which sparkles under the fluorescent lights.

  • She watches him pass, then calls out.

  • AMELIA
  • Hey, welcome to the doorway infinite worlds.

  • Her voice comes out just above a whisper, a little softer than she ended.

  • Scott turns around.

  • SCOTT
  • Sorry.

  • She clears her throat, embarrassed.

  • AMELIA
  • Eh, I said "Welcome to the doorway to infinite worlds." It sounded so much better in my head, I promise.

  • Scott steps up to the counter.

  • SCOTT
  • Well, I appreciate the welcome. That's exactly what this is though, isn't it? You can step to the edge and pick a thousand worlds to explore.

  • AMELIA
  • Infinite worlds.

  • SCOTT
  • Right, right. I've been in love with books since I was a kid. I don't get here nearly enough.

  • AMELIA
  • But you always come at the same time. Um, I mean, I've loved books all my life too. I couldn't imagine doing anything else than working in a place full of books.

  • SCOTT
  • Wait, you're not going to get off the hook that easily. You mean you've noticed me every time I've come here? Flattering, but kind of stalker-y, no?

  • AMELIA
  • You haven't noticed me?

  • She tries to sound flirty.

  • Scott shrugs and she pauses and looks down at her feet for a second.

  • SCOTT
  • Hey, when does your shift end?

  • AMELIA
  • Eleven.

  • SCOTT
  • Well, I always thought your nose-ring was ridiculously cute, well, you too, I, uh, guess...so why don't you come find me when you're done. I'll be somewhere around modern Mexican lit. Maybe we can have coffee or something.

  • AMELIA
  • Hey, you can't get off that easy either. I thought you didn't notice me.

  • SCOTT
  • I didn't say that.

  • AMELIA
  • You shrugged.

  • SCOTT
  • And?

  • AMELIA
  • You're going to be difficult aren't you.

  • SCOTT
  • See, look at this, we already have witty banter; I predict good things. So?

  • AMELIA
  • Did you ever feel caught up in the drama of romance as a kid. Everything felt so urgent and deep and painful and beautiful?

  • SCOTT
  • I think that's a little personal. We're only now acting as if we notice each other.

  • Just answer the question.

  • Yeah, yeah I did. Wish I still felt like that. Wish something that romantic and urgent would happen to me. It'll never happen quite that way will it?

  • AMELIA
  • Ah, you make your own romance. 11.

  • SCOTT
  • So I'm approved?

  • AMELIA
  • Just go read your Octavio Paz or whoever it is you're tracking down.

  • SCOTT
  • Yes Ma'am.

  • He backs up, a little grin on his face.

  • She smiles back at him, self-consciously touching her nose ring.

  • AMELIA
  • Welcome to the portal...a portal that will open up an infinite universe of possibilities for you./li>
  • SCOTT
  • Still probably sounded better in your head, didn't it?

  • AMELIA
  • Oh, get out.

  • He bows, then turns and disappears into the stacks.

  • She watches him, bites her lip, smiling and unconsciously twirling her ring.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: