Friday, November 21, 2008

326. The Hollow Girl - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. THE MEDIOCRE - NIGHT

  • The Mediocre is a club that is anything but. Flat couches hang above the heads of the guests sitting on low chairs and couches, and are accessible by rope ladders.

  • ALAN watches in amusement as a girl in a tight skirt attempts to climb the rope ladder while maintaining some dignity.

  • THEO returns with their drinks and sits down next to him.

  • THEO
  • Your cranberry juice, good sir?

  • ALAN
  • Why thanks. Oh, look, they even stuck a lime in for me. I can be a real boy too!

  • Theo snorts and leans back into the couch, nodding to the beat and sipping from his glass.

  • Alan taps his finger along with music and watches the DJ, who is dancing in her perch across the room.

  • A girl with short, curly hair passes and something about her attracts Alan's attention.

  • She turns, revealing that some of the hair on the other side of her head is cropped shorter.

  • A small tattoo rests behind her ear, and rings cover her ear, in contrast to the other side of her head which is free of any type of modification.

  • The effect is attractive and disconcerting.

  • ALAN
  • You should go talk to her?

  • THEO
  • Nah, she's just a hollow girl.

  • ALAN
  • Excuse me?

  • THEO
  • Not her really, I guess, but my expectations for her, she simply becomes a shell for the person I want to her be. I'll get to know her, and sure, I'll appreciate who she really is, but I'll be more disappointed by who she isn't?

  • ALAN
  • Good night, you've kind of set yourself up for failure.

  • THEO
  • Well, when you approach someone at a club, it's understood that you're looking for a certain, ehm, level of relationship. I don't want to just pick up random people, no matter how cool. I want to get to know someone, and then hey, I know what I'm getting into, and no disappointment.

  • ALAN
  • You're a sad, sad man. I mean, you told me you used to daydream about how cool it would be to meet someone spontaneously.

  • THEO
  • And that's why it's a daydream; stuff like that doesn't happen.

  • ALAN
  • It can, darn it! But you won't know if you don't stop hiding behind excuses and actually meet her.

  • Theo glances over his shoulder, scanning the room for her.

  • ALAN
  • Look at you, you need to just talk to her - even if that's the only thing that happens. You're so idealistic you've become paralyzed. Go.

  • THEO
  • You have to help me find an entry point.

  • ALAN
  • What?

  • THEO
  • If I'm going to go talk to her, I need to find a way to start a good conversation.

  • ALAN
  • Oh, for the love of Buddha!

  • THEO
  • Hey, you're the one who wants me to talk to her.

  • ALAN
  • You know you do too. Ok, ok, fine. Her piercings?

  • THEO
  • Nah.

  • ALAN
  • Hairstyle, clothes?

  • THEO
  • Too much potential for disaster.

  • ALAN
  • You're just trying to be difficult.

  • THEO
  • Yes.

  • ALAN
  • Ah, screw it.

  • THEO
  • Thanks for playing.

  • ALAN
  • Yeah, yeah. So, when I have kids, I'm limiting the time they have with you. I would very much like them to end up as balanced adults.

  • Theo laughs, but his eyes are distant, still following the girl across the room.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: