Wednesday, November 26, 2008

331. Those Darn Little Lines - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • EXT. BEACH - DAY

  • RICK, ANDY, and MARTIN walk comfortably along the crowded beach, bare and sandaled feet digging into the soft white sand.

  • Ahead of them is a large plastic barrier cutting the beach in half, across which music blasts.

  • ANDY
  • Dude, this is the hottest party of the year, how in the world did you land tickets?

  • RICK
  • I ran into one of the organizers at the bar last night. Linda, I think. I mean how much better can you get? This is the way to end a weekend.

  • Martin grins at Rick.

  • MARTIN
  • You used some of that famous charm of yours?

  • RICK
  • You are not going to bring that up again are you? Jerk.

  • MARTIN
  • I'm just saying.

  • RICK
  • I did not accidentally call her father a greedy pig and then proceed to dump my drink down her dress...accidentally. Seriously, I only did that once.

  • MARTIN
  • Once is enough.

  • ANDY
  • So true. Oh, the look on Amy's face when you did that.

  • RICK
  • Three years and you still haven't let go of that.

  • MARTIN
  • No reason to.

  • They reach the party entrance and the BOUNCER eyes them.

  • RICK
  • Hey, we're on the list. Rick Jenner and two guests.

  • The bouncer scans the names, then nods and stamps their hands.

  • The three saunter in, freshly marked with little red scorpions.

  • EXT. THE SCORPION CLUB 2008 BEACH PARTY - DAY

  • Past the plastic barricades, a few acres of sand are packed with young bodies moving to the music.

  • A DJ spins on large stage at the center of the crowd.

  • RICK
  • Y'guys want something to drink?

  • ANDY
  • I'm good.

  • MARTIN
  • If they have Fat Tire...

  • RICK
  • Cool.

  • Rick wanders off through the crowd to the bar.

  • ANDY
  • This is cool, kinda makes me feel like I've made it - living the life.

  • MARTIN
  • Something like that.

  • He eyes a guy grinding with his bikini-clad girlfriend.

  • MARTIN
  • Look at that - I mean, I wouldn't mind dancing like that with my girl - but I'd want to be someplace private, that isn't something I need to share. Oh, go get a room.

  • ANDY
  • Oh, I think they're there.

  • MARTIN
  • Tell me about it.

  • Rick returns, holding two Fat Tire beers.

  • He hands one to Martin.

  • Martin nods, clinking bottles with Rick.

  • They watch the crowd move.

  • Two scantily clad DANCERS work their way up to the stage.

  • Andy nudges Rick, who elbows Martin.

  • RICK
  • Dude...

  • The dancers climb up on stage, their cropped, black t-shirts emblazoned with a large red scorpion.

  • ANDY
  • Scorpion girls?

  • RICK
  • Mmmhm.

  • They stare in awe.

  • Martin sips his beer and shuffles uncomfortably.

  • The girls begin dancing, moving towards each other.

  • The crowd volume rises to a shriek as they begin grinding each other.

  • MARTIN
  • Guys, I can't stay.

  • RICK
  • What, why?

  • MARTIN
  • You know.

  • ANDY
  • Seriously, dude?

  • MARTIN
  • I'm not going to get on a soapbox, you've heard me do that enough.

  • RICK
  • Seriously though.

  • MARTIN
  • C'mon. I'm a feminist...and a Christian, some stuff just doesn't work well with that combination.

  • RICK
  • So what, you going to come at me from the sin angle or misogyny angle.

  • MARTIN
  • Neither. I'll see you guys at the hotel.

  • Rick shakes his head and turns back to the stage, not really expecting Martin to leave.

  • Martin pushes through the crowd working his way to the edge of the stage.

  • Andy watches Martin reach the exit.

  • Martin turns back for a moment, contemplating the stage, then disappears bast the barriers.

  • Andy watches the exit for a moment, then turns back to the stage.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


1 comment:

Alicita said...

Wow. If you still really feel like this about the whole groove scene, then you must really still be shaking your head after your Turkey Day shoot. :) BTW, Alicia here - also on the Red Riding Hood Comment - didn't mean to hide.