Sunday, November 16, 2008

321. Moving On - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. MAMA B'S PIE HOUSE - EVENING

  • ANTHONY sits comfortably in the window booth, lovingly contemplating a massive slice lemon meringue pie.

  • LARNELLE sits across from him, his peach cobbler untouched as he stares out the window as students from the nearby university pass.

  • A girl with big hoop earrings, an art portfolio, and a flowing skirt stops in front of the cafe to check something in the portfolio.

  • LARNELLE
  • Oh, look, she's absolutely your type. Mmm, and she's got an art folder thingy...portfolio? Anyway, yeah.

  • Anthony glances briefly out the window, then takes a bite of his pie.

  • ANTHONY
  • Mmm. That's good.

  • LARNELLE
  • Dude, what's wrong with you? I mean, just based on looks, you need to run out there and take a knee, or at the least get her number.

  • ANTHONY
  • This pie is amazing, oh, wow...I love lemon, I love meringue. I love this pie!

  • LARNELLE
  • Seriously?

  • ANTHONY
  • Look, I realized a few weeks ago that I'm probably not ever going to meet the right woman and so I'm working on not caring anymore.

  • LARNELLE
  • Excuse me?

  • ANTHONY
  • Well, I used to think I knew what I wanted, and I guess I still do...but I know what it looks like in my head - not in real life, and I don't think I ever will. I don't think I'll ever know how what I'm looking for looks, seems, is, in the real world.

  • LARNELLE
  • Brother, you're messing with me aren't you? I mean, your "dream girl?" That's all you've ever wanted.

  • ANTHONY
  • I'm dead serious. I don't think she exists, and if she does, I won't know how to find her. And just as well, because the deeper issue here is if I really am sure that what I'm looking for is the right thing for me. I could be completely off, find what I thought was right, then end up miserable. Or, I could find the girl who seemed like she was the ideal I'm looking for, only to find out, she's missing something vital that I was looking for.

  • LARNELLE
  • Alright, now you're just making me depressed.

  • ANTHONY
  • My problem is, I want perfection. Not a perfect woman, a woman who will be perfect with me. And since perfection doesn't exist and since I couldn't live with anything less, I'm just letting myself off the hook. I'll be a happy old spinster.

  • LARNELLE
  • One, I don't think guys end up as spinsters and two, that's is a terrible image you've stuck in my mind - I may never forgive you.

  • Anthony savors another slow bite of pie.

  • LARNELLE
  • You need help, and she looks like she could give you some. If you won't get her number, I will.

  • Larnelle stands up, walks outside and approaches the girl, gesturing carefully inside.

  • Anthony watches him mildly for a moment, shakes his head, then returns to his pie.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: