Friday, December 26, 2008

361. Don't You Know - Leslie







  • FADE IN:

  • INT. HIGH SCHOOL CLASSROOM - DAY

  • SETH sits at his desk taking notes as MR. SCHNEIDER drones on.

  • MR. SCHNEIDER
  • These are the tentpegs of Greek literature, people, take note. The hero, his hubris, the hamartia he commits because of that hubris, his realization that his fate is inescapable, and your katharsis as you receive enlightenment about your own situation. Note it well, folks - this far into the year, you shouldn't have to ask me what all this means.

  • Seth senses something and looks up.

  • MEGAN is standing at the narrow window, gesturing at him.

  • He nods and raises his hand.

  • She slips out of sight.

  • MR. SCHNEIDER
  • Yes, Mr. Hamra?

  • SETH
  • May I get a hall pass? I think I ate something that disagreed with me last night, and well...

  • The other students snicker.

  • Mr. Schneider sighs.

  • MR. SCHNEIDER
  • Alright, Seth - but only because you seem to be paying attention. Hubris?

  • SETH
  • An act of imbalance. A person acting in a way, often inspired by arrogance, which places him in a state of imbalance that must be righted.

  • MR. SCHNEIDER
  • Good enough.

  • He fills out the slip and Seth moves forward quickly, hand on his stomach, and takes it from Mr. Schneider.

  • MR. SCHNEIDER
  • You really should watch your diet Mr. Hamra; this happens far too often for my comfort.

  • Seth nods and hurries out of the room.

  • EXT. HIGH SCHOOL - DAY

  • Seth comes around a corner of the brick building and finds Megan sitting on of the benches that rest against the wall.

  • He sits down next to her and she move closer and puts her head on his shoulder.

  • He takes out his watch and sets the timer for five minutes.

  • SETH
  • Last night that bad?

  • MEGAN
  • I'm fat and I'm ugly.

  • SETH
  • I'd tell you that you're not, because you're not - but I'm tired of saying it and not having you believe me. But you're not.

  • MEGAN
  • That's sweet of you.

  • SETH
  • He called you fat and ugly and he laughed at you and then you went down on him. Please, don't tell me who "he" is this time.

  • She wipes her eyes.

  • MEGAN
  • You're getting good at this. At least it's not sex.

  • SETH
  • I think it is.

  • MEGAN
  • Well, thanks for making me feel like a slut now.

  • SETH
  • Did I say that? It's just that sex is up here.

  • He taps his head.

  • SETH
  • I mean, you kiss someone the right way and that's sex. Sure it's not all the same, but it's not as clearly defined as any of us want it to be. It's all a big gray...

  • He waves his hands around.

  • SETH
  • I'm sorry. Are you ok?

  • MEGAN
  • Not really. I know, I know what you're going to say. Don't. Can we just sit here?

  • SETH
  • Ok.

  • They sit on the bench, fall leaves drifting to the ground around them as the time ticks away.

  • The timer on the watch buzzes, startling both of them.

  • Megan pulls away from Seth and stands up.

  • SETH
  • You're absolutely beautiful. Maybe one day you'll get that. And the day you get it, everyone else will too.

  • MEGAN
  • See, I knew you were going to say something.

  • Seth shrugs.

  • MEGAN
  • Thanks, I'll see you later. And you should probably come up with a better excuse.

  • He smiles.

  • She walks away, heading around the corner, pausing, just out of his line of sight, and peeking back at him.

  • Seth sits on the bench for a moment longer.

  • His smile fades.

  • SETH
  • You're absolutely beautiful. You walk into a room and there's just this way that light wraps around your face. Ah, crap.

  • He touches the part of his shoulder where her head rested and sits like that for a moment.

  • Megan watches and lifts her foot to take a step back to the bench, then pauses.

  • She takes one more look at him, then turns, and slips back towards the entrance as Seth sits lost in thought.

  • FADE TO BLACK.


No comments: